Lead Design Engineer
Since 1980, ProTech Industries has grown to be one of the leading manufacturers in aftermarket truck accessories for the light, tractor trailer, and Class 8 markets. We employ leading metal fabrication craftsmen, innovative custom designers, and one of the best Customer Service teams in the nation. If you are a highly skilled, enthusiastic, and goal oriented team player, ProTech is the right place for you. We offer a competitive pay structure, full benefits, and above all else, a fun and always challenging work environment. Start a new adventure by submitting your resume to Protech Industries today!
The Lead Design Engineer will be a working Design Engineer at ProTech and schedule/prioritize the design effort for a team of approximately six designers and other engineers. The Lead Design Engineer will focus heavily on executing the daily custom product creation requirements.
This role will select and apply standard engineering principles and procedures in the design and development of new sheet metal products or the update/modification of existing sheet metal products. This will require coordination of internal company activities related to design projects, working closely with individuals on the team and across all functions of the organization to execute activities. This person will interface with the Senior VP of Engineering to set expectations of the Engineering team and drive results.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Update/modify current products using rigorous engineering change control systems.
- Coordinate Engineering team work effort, maintain time and attendance of team members
- Work with external resources to resolve product issues when required.
- Participate as a key team player by supporting all departments as needed.
- Follow systems and procedures outlined in company manuals.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical, Manufacturing, or related Engineering field.
- Five or more years hands on mechanical engineering experience within automotive/manufacturing industry with a particular emphasis on sheet metal products preferred.
- Strong analytical skills and hands on mechanical skills.
- Two or more years of leadership experience is preferred.
- Experience with 3D CAD required, SolidWorks sheet metal preferred. Bonus consideration for PDM experience.
- Working knowledge of fabrication shop equipment such as lasers, press brakes, welders, and robots. Bonus consideration for machined part creation experience.
- Working knowledge of ASME Y14.5.
- Work will be performed at a desk/PC as well as in a shop environment
- Must be able to work in a Microsoft environment.
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand English.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
- Standing and/or sitting for prolonged periods of time – up to 8 hours or more per day.
- Appearance at all times must represent the company image.
- Occasional lifting of up to 25 lbs.
- Moderate to loud noise level.
- May be exposed to metal dust, tools and machinery found in a manufacturing environment.
- Fast-paced environment; subject to numerous priority changes requiring ability to track, follow up and ensure customer needs are met.